Picayune A Great Place to Live, Work and Play
2021 Picayune Main Street, Inc. Accomplishments
Applying the National Main Street 4-Point Approach
Design; Organization; Promotion & Economic Vitality to Achieve Downtown Beautification & Historic Preservation Projects
- Funded Mural on Wilson Printing Building- Andy Green, Artist
- Funded Mural on Picayune Drug Building & Stewart Insurance Building by Artist Ashley Mason
- Awarded Funds to complete 5 Façade Projects in Downtown Picayune
- Assisted with location of a permanent stage location and provided funds to floor stage for downtown events
- Added a 3rd Bridge over a drainage ditch to connect Shay Park Pavilion for downtown events
- 2021 Civic Award 1st Place Picayune Main Street, Inc. Elee Reeves, First Lady of MS presented award- Christy Goss, Reba Beebe, Eric Morris & Tom Milar accepted award.
- 2020 Law Enforcement Recognition 1st Place Award City of Picayune Code Enforcement Tom Milar Winner
- 2020 Business/Industry Award 1st Place Mississippi Power Company Environmental Stewardship Council Eric Morris, City of Picayune Public Works accepted award.
- 2020 Civic/Non-Profit 2nd Place Picayune Main Street, Inc. Reba Beebe, Director accepted award
Greater Picayune Area Chamber of Commerce Awards
- Norman Howell- Board Member was Awarded Volunteer of the Year
- Suzan Wilson- Board Member Awarded Cheerleader of the Year by Chamber Director Terry Farr
Picayune Main Street, Inc. Organization Accomplishments
- Awarded Payroll Protection Program Grant #2 to secure staff during Pandemic
- Sponsor General Membership Meetings & Breakfast Event Planning & Christmas Appreciation Luncheon for City. Continue to Share Members & Local Organization Events via Social Media upon request
- Participated in Save Our Park Campaign to help raise funds to rebuild a local playground & upgrade sport fields. Jail & Bail Campaign & Raffle Tickets Raised $42,834.21
- Listed as 1 of 20 Premier Programs in the 2021 MS State Tour Guide
- Sponsored Picayune 53rd Spring in April 54th Bi-Annual Fall Street Festival in November
- Co-Sponsor with City of Picayune the Annual Christmas on the Rails and Shop by Candlelight Event
- Partnered with City to provide essential service support of downtown events
- Selected City Rexall Drug as the 2021 Historic Collectible Christmas Ornament (# 22 in Historic Collection)
- Created New event Main Street Music Event- 3 Day Downtown event promoting local artist and businesses. Proceeds from event will purchase Christmas Decorations for Jack Read Park.
- Held the 1st Maker’s Market with 18 local artisans participating.
- Awarded MS Main Street- 2021 Outstanding Façade Improvement Project “Making Downtown More Lovable 2”Received $40,000.00 in Grants for Downtown Revitalization Purpose
- Received $4000.00 Grants from Visit MS to promote Picayune MS
- Received $ 13,7500.00 in Sponsorship Support for 2021 Alley Projects
- Received $1,000.00 Grant Downtown Beautification Grant from Wal-Mart
- Awarded $50,000.00 in Grants to Downtown Business/Property Owners/Downtown Parking lot
- Economic Vitality Team Successfully Completed Revitalization of an Alley “Creative Outdoor Spaces” on East Canal
Community Development Precedes Economic Development
2020 MS Main Street Awards – Picayune Main Street, Inc. won the 2020 Outstanding Façade Improvement Project for Making Downtown More Lovable Promotion
2019 MS Main Street State Awards Luncheon, Mr. Bill Edwards was Nominated Home Town Hero.
Reba Beebe Board Member Beth Stewart Jarrell and House 108 Representative Stacey Wilkes accepted award in Mr. Bill’s absence.
Mayor Ed Pinero Presented Mr. Bill Edwards 2019 Award @ City Council Meeting
City of Picayune received 2 awards during the 2018 MS Main Street Association Awards at the Old Capitol Inn Building in Jackson MS.
Hometown Hero Picayune City Manager, Jim Luke
Outstanding Public Improvement Project Crosby Commons
Picayune Main Street, Inc. with the help of Bill & Sally Edwards of SalBil Video nominated the City of Picayune for both awards.